You may need our External Hard Disk Recovery services if you can no longer access your external hard disk.
External eSATA, USB or Firewire drives are more likely to get damaged than static / non-portable drives. We often carry out external hard disk recovery from dropped drives, drives knocked from a table, trodden on, or had the wrong power supply plugged in. See our service details here or get a quote by filling out the contact form on this page.
You need to be extra careful with external hard disk recovery to avoid making things worse. First, don’t install any recovery software to the disk. Installing anything to the drive could overwrite your data. Also don’t try to fix, repair, or upgrade the drive in any way. If you cannot copy your data from the drive, then installing anything onto it is only going to make matters worse.
You may need external hard disk recovery if you see any of the following:
- Blinking LEDs / lights on the external disk
- No lights on the external disk when plugged in
- Burning smell
- “This drive needs to be formatted before use” message on screen
- “The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer” message on screen
Most external hard disks are simply regular hard disks with extra electronics to allow connection by USB / Firewire / eSATA. This means they are susceptible to the same failures as regular hard drives. Things like firmware faults, electronic faults and physical damage.
Tips for using external hard drives safely:
- Always unplug the cable by pulling near the connector. Don’t pull the cable as this can put strain on the connector or even detach it completely.
- Don’t balance the drive on its side, or where it can fall off anything. Even the force from a drive falling from its side to its front can cause a total head crash which is not recoverable (even for us).
- Tuck cables out the way, preferably behind the computer where they cannot be tripped over.
- Make backup copies of the data on the drive. You never want a single copy of any data, as disk failure often happens without any warning.